When considering document storage solutions, many businesses disregard professional third-party options over cost concerns. Storing documents in house or in a self-storage unit is often viewed as a cost-effective alternative to professional solutions.
In fact, professional storage is more affordable than many businesses realize, in some cases costing less than a cup of coffee per day to store up to 100 boxes of records. Additionally, professional vendors provide many advantages that do-it-yourself options lack. From enhanced security to compliance and retention management, offsite document storage services offer peace of mind and can ultimately save businesses money.
Storing records in-house or in a self-storage unit may create an upfront cost savings, but those options don’t include many of the enhanced and long-term cost-saving features of professional document storage, including:
- 24-hour security. Video surveillance ensures the safekeeping of all critical records and in the event of severe weather or power outage, specialized storage facilities offer environmental controls and immediate generator back up to protect against temperature spikes, humidity, water damage and other environmental concerns.
- Compliance. Federal, state and industry regulations demand proper records management, and most reputable document storage companies provide retention scheduling services to keep you compliant with the latest mandates.
- Transportation. Self-storage requires the use of company resources to transport records to and from a storage unit, wasting both time and money. Professional storage provides alternative transportation services so businesses can allocate resources more effectively.
Self-storage might seem like a cost-effective way to manage critical business records, but when it comes time to find that key piece of documentation, moving heavy boxes around an already crowded office wastes valuable staff resources and money. Professional document storage increases efficiency with a number of key services, including:
- Easy access. Barcode scanning ensures that when businesses need their documents, they are quickly located and delivered without allocating unnecessary resources.
- No more wasted space. Replacing space-consuming filing cabinets with workstations creates a more efficient office space and allows businesses to focus on customer satisfaction.
- Document conversion. Many businesses lack the infrastructure and manpower to effectively handle the transfer of paper documents to digital files. Professional records storage providers offer document imaging and cloud document storage services, meaning many businesses never have to do deal with the cumbersome scanning process.
When evaluating the best storage options for your business, consider both short-term and long-term cost savings. Professional document storage partners like our team at Gilmore Services offer enhanced service at high value when compared to self-storage options and can save businesses money over time. Learn more about the right storage solutions for your business in our free comparison checklist.