How Document Imaging Services Can Revolutionize Your Business
Wed, Jul 27, 2016
By: Jim Beran
In the modern business world, information is always growing. This makes it challenging to keep up with proper records management and document storage requirements. What’s more, laws and regulations requiring that records be kept for a certain amount of time before being destroyed can add to the confusion of how to properly handle certain sensitive documents.
And of course, storing boxes of paper documents in warehouses or paying commercial rental prices to store them can be particularly frustrating.
For many, document imaging services presents a better way of managing important business documents.
What are document imaging services?
Document scanning services take your current hard-copy paper documents and convert them into digital PDF or TIFF files. A professional document imaging service will gather all the new files onto a disk, a drive, or a secure content management system — imagine a virtual filing cabinet — and make it so you can view them easily with nothing more than a few clicks of a mouse.
How does document imaging work?
Document imaging works by scanning paper documents, then converting them into high-quality images. Two primary types of imaging include:
- Bulk document imaging. This involves scanning large amounts of paper files all at once. This is a good way for businesses with lots of paper files get started with digital imaging. Each physical document is prepared by removing staples, sticky notes, and paper clips, and organized with separator sheets as needed. Then, the documents are scanned in quick succession all at once.
- Scan on demand imaging. This lets businesses scan what they need as they go. Many companies set up scanning schedules with a professional scanning services so they can stay organized with digital imaging every time new information comes in. Scan on demand imaging is ideal for businesses with constantly growing amounts of information.
Once paper files are converted into electronic format, they are indexed for easy retrieval and downloaded onto a CD, DVD, or uploaded to a secure cloud-based server.
What are the benefits of document imaging?
Document imaging services can do wonders for your business’s internal document storage and management processes. Here are a few benefits of document imaging:
- Save space. Digital scanning can help cut down on paper documents — sometimes multiple boxes of them — that are taking up precious space in your office, warehouse, or a storage facility you wouldn’t otherwise need. When businesses talk about “going paperless,” this is how they begin.
- Improve organization. As your information grows, your documents storage can become organized, easily retrievable, and a retention schedule can be applied to properly maintain or destroy info as needed.
- Access documents remotely. You no longer need to go digging through boxes of documents. Instead, document scanning and storage provides secure, remote access to your company's most important documents.
- Promote better security. Chances are that any company working with sensitive information needs to work hard to maintain confidentiality throughout the lifetime of the documents. These days, many businesses choose to rely on password protected, digital storage options, far better than boxes of unprotected papers piling up in your office store room.
With all these benefits, document imaging could truly revolutionize your business’s document storage and management. Be sure to look for a qualified, reputable records management company with screened and trained staff to help you get started.
Looking for a partner to help with your document imaging needs? Learn more about how Gilmore Services can help you keep your records safe and streamlined.