During the mix of daily operations, businesses may find themselves ignoring a stack of records that keeps growing. Full file cabinets or storage rooms can become cumbersome and hinder productivity. Records are information assets that can hold great value for your organization, but mismanagement can pose several risks. Records storage plays an important role in protecting the future of your organization. Here are the five important reasons to move inactive records to an off-site facility:
1. Protects Your Company. Storing documents off-site prepares your company for an emergency and guards against prying eyes or disgruntled employees. It also helps preserve your information by keeping vital records organized, like the organization’s strategic decisions, research and development and legal compliance.
2. Protects your employees and stakeholders. Making the decision to use proper record management safeguards HR information and guards against misuse of sensitive information. Professional storage also helps maintain your organization’s duty to stakeholders to ensure that information is retrievable, authentic and accurate.
3. Protects your clients, patients and customers. Securing your documents demonstrates a high level of professional care by protecting clients’ vital information. You are also protecting your clients when you comply with laws and regulations. Off-site storage is often a part of records compliance with current laws including Privacy Act of 1974, Right to Financial Privacy Act of 1978, Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPPA), Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002, Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act of 2003 (FACTA), eDiscovery, and more.
4. Saves you time and money. Anything to remove a burden is helpful today. Records storage makes your files accessible when you need them via the web, email, FAX or telephone, thanks to indexing and software systems. Professional storage can even be 80% less costly than renting more office space.
5. Manage Risk. Using a records management company to secure off-site records helps you manage your record storage needs through the demands of regulations and the threat of litigation and E-Discovery.
Whether your organization is just starting out or you’ve been handling record management on your own for years, now is the time to store your documents with a trusted record management company. Contact us today to find out how we can benefit your business.
Still not sure? Download our free guide to find out if your small business in danger.